Moving Check List
To ensure a hassle-free experience, we’ve produced a handy checklist to guide you through the process.
Two months before you move
- Book time off work either side of the move.
- Find a new school for your children and arrange to transfer their school records.
- Order cardboard boxes, start packing up what you can and arrange self-storage if needed.
- Have a clear out of old stuff that’s no longer wanted. Moving house is a chance for a fresh start!
Five to six weeks before
- Appoint a conveyancer and arrange a building survey. Research shows that buyers will spend an average of £4,205 fixing things they should’ve spotted before they moved in.
- Hire a removal company. Get a few quotes before you book.
- Check your home insurance policy to make sure you have cover from the day you move in to your new house, or even from the day you exchange contracts.
Now might also be a good time to review your home insurance needs and check whether you’re on the best deal. If you’re moving to a smaller or larger house, you may need to review the value of your contents and buildings cover.
Three to four weeks before
- To help you stay connected, search online to find cheap TV, broadband and phone deals for your new address.
- Consider a new credit card. If you’re buying things for your new home, a 0% interest on purchases card might help with the expense. Plus it’ll provide valuable protection on larger purchases.
- Redirect your mail. Tell friends and relatives that you’re moving.
- Look at the cheapest energy tariffs for your new home.
One to two weeks before
- Keep on packing and perform a thorough clean – there’s not long to go.
- Sort out your bills. Update your addresses with your TV licence, bank or building society, current credit cards, insurance providers, and any pensions and investments you may have.
- Cancel local deliveries and services, such as newspapers.
- Register to pay council tax for your new home.
The day before
- Do a final quick clean where furniture has been moved or floors have got dirty.
- Strip the beds.
- Walk through your house and make sure everything is accounted for.
- Make sure you have the keys to your new home, or have arranged to collect them.
The day of the move
- Make a note of all meter readings and keep this somewhere safe.
- Before leaving, take one final look around to see if you’ve forgotten anything. Also check that all windows are secure and water, gas and electricity supplies are switched off.
- Make sure you’re present when the removal crew arrives so you can guide them around the house.
- When the removal company unloads your furniture at your new place, check for any damage.
Once you’re in your new home
- Switch utilities providers.
- Introduce your pets to their new home.
- If the property doesn’t already have new locks, now might be the time to get them.
- Update the electoral register, as you won’t be automatically registered to vote. You can register to vote on GOV.UK.